Search This Blog

Friday, March 16, 2012

The First Day...

Hello, welcome to my blog, i will began start with the day my doctor told me i had cancer. It was June 2006, a hot muggy day,my ex-wife and me packed up my young son(a little over a year old) she (my ex-wife) had packed the usual things for my son and we began our trip. The ride to the doctors office was long and it was during rush hour traffic, so we all know how that can be, me and my wife were arguing as we often did because she didn't like the way i was driving, to make a long story short, when we arrived at the doctors office the waiting room was full and we had to sit in the hallway, which angered my wife to the point that she decide she wanted to leave,so there i was waiting in a hot stuffy hallway, mad that my wife and my son had left. the wait was long, about 3 hours i guess,but the doctor had already received my blood work,MRI and ct scans from my family doctor so i had figured the e.n.t doctor i was about to see already knew my diagnoses. So finally after a long wait my name was called and a was taking back to a room to be examined.I had never seen this doctor before so that had added to my anxiety in which was already off the scale because of the long wait. The doctor came in with his young intern and with a quick introduction he began his examine which entailed putting a long endoscope thru my right nasal passage and down my throat, he quickly began telling his intern some numbers and locations and told his intern to have a look, needless to say i knew something was wrong but i had thought to myself other than having this black hose down my throat i had felt okay. Finally after about a 15 minute examine the doctor said quite coldly, "Mr B, you have CANCER",without emotion he quickly began telling me what kind of cancer i had , where its was at and the stages, he then called for his nurse to set me up for surgery in two weeks, i remember i was speechless at first, then it hit me, i began to say ,this can't be, i have a new son. I suddenly became confused, i had to call someone, i had to call my wife, a nurse came in and gently took hold of my hand and lead me to a phone, i was trembling as i called my wife who angrily answered the and said " what the hell do you want", i told her what the doctor had said and the phone became silent, i said hello are you there and with in a minute my wife was walking into the room, she had been out in the waiting room with my son, as she came in with my son in a stroller, the doctor began to tell her, he said "your husband has throat cancer" my head had cleared up enough to listen to what he was saying and i began to listen, Mr b " you have stage two squamous cell carcinoma on your left tonsil and that's not so bad, but its has metastasized to your lymph nodes and there it is stage four", i remember looking to my wife and she was crying, i looked to my son, who was chewing on a teething ring, it felt like i was watching someone else being told they have cancer, as i asked what are my chances, he told me in a cool calculating voice " about 40 percent of surviving the rest of this year", my heart sunk to my stomach swell that's it for today, obviously i beat the odds or i wouldn't in be posting this right now, so i say to you, if your either a cancer patient or a family member, a number is just a number, remain strong, and try to be positive... go ahead and do some posting, its helps to talk about it, never give up hope!!! come back to read more about my story, you just might find its quite similar to yours.....God Bless, and have a wonderful day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment